Friday 14 November 2008

Faith, Hope and Love

I started by praying about hope. It is the grace I think of least, but the one I most often feel. Love and faith are rare experiences for me, and they normarlly come together. Normally I do feel hope though even when I am not particularly loving or faithful. I always want to be loving and helpful.
Hope is possible with doubt. Doubt is incompatible with faith and hope. Because of this hope can exist throughout anything, even when I am doubting, and for me it has been a most useful gifts.
Thinking about faith, I am often faithless. I often do not have a sense of God's existence, but I know that faith is the key to my live. I could not go on living without it as a basis for how I live. The complaint against faith is that it is allows the acceptance of certainty for things we cannot be certain. It is an epistemology that can be anti-reason. I stress that no one can say it is essentially anti-reason. You can make faithful arguments that are reasonable. For example, I might by faith come to the idea that the sun will raise tomorrow. This would not conflict with reason. I would go as far as saying that reason needs a faith of some sort.
Faith is saying "it is as it is" without needing any further proof other than something that some have described as a feeling or intuition. If someone said how can you believe in God when your notion of God is unprovable. My answer would be that God is as He is. And many would say that it is not acceptable.
But let me ask the atheist why he is atheist, and he will say that it is wrong to believe in God because the belief in God is untrue. Then I might ask, "What is the value of truth?" One might say the truth is inherently valuable, which is an "it is as it is" argument. If we try to give a reason we might say that the truth helps us to do develop better survival strategies, and if the strategies help us to live or to pass on genes, as we have been designed by evolution to do, then I would say why does that matter? Even if we only exist because of the evolution of genes, this does not say anything other than we exist by chance. There is then no inherent good, and if there is no inherent good, then there is no value and if there is no value then the truth is not valuable. Besides, religion might make my life easier and might help me in terms of survival, and then be just as valuable as any truth. So then the atheist does not really have an argument.
Love is all that really matters. I have faith in this.

No comments: